【DSE writing】One-sided Argumentative Essays!

Picture of Spencer Lam
Spencer Lam
英文補習名師,港大一級榮譽,多年英文補習經驗,歷年來曾教授超過1000名學生,學生遍及各大名校,由初中至成人英語皆可因材施教,獲《TVB 星期日檔案》、《Now TV》、《ViuTV》、《晴報》、《明珠台》、《UMagazine》等專訪
DSE英文文章內容在此推介課程下:

IELTS - 皇牌考試技巧班

熱門選擇

教授四卷獨門考試技巧以及加強考試常用詞彙等。

✓ 提升理解文章中心思想&速讀能力,極簡單地掌握>90%的內容
✓ 大幅提高Reading答對率,長問答最少都可獲得一半或以上的分數
✓ 瀑布式寫作,輕鬆爆Point寫不停,不用再邊寫邊停低思考

報讀詳情請以 WhatsApp 查詢

Part 2: One-sided Argumentative Essays

An editorial letter

Greetings, Sir/Madam / Hello, Editor

1 Objective of Writing + Introductory + Your Opinion ( + + )

Body (內文)

段落 2    標題句 + 論點一 + 總結句

段落 3    標題句 + 論點二 + 總結句

段落 4    標題句 + 論點三 + 總結句

段落 5    駁論

段落 6 Concluding remarks (plus)

faithfully yours,

C S. Wong

C S. Wong

A. 歷屆試題

題目 + 考核重點

1 HKDSE Practice Paper in English Q6 (Letter to the government)

English language instruction through sports communication

Several schools are considering removing physical education from the curriculum so that pupils can focus more on academic subjects. Your opinions on the idea should be expressed in a letter to the secretary of education.

1. Address a letter to the education secretary + stating your opinions

English 2 HKDSE 2012 Q2

English language instruction through sports communication (forum post)

You have been following an online discussion in Health and Fitness eMag on the advantages of playing video games like Wii sports over actual sports. Post your thoughts on the subject in the online discussion board.

1. Real versus virtual sports+Post your thoughts on the online forum.

2013 Q3 HKDSE English

Dramatic English language instruction (forum reply)

You’ve been looking through a webpage on using theatre tactics in the classroom. You are currently writing your response to the following topic that you saw on an internet forum.

Drama is frequently used in courses by teachers because they believe it offers many educational advantages. Parents who believe that theatre cannot be used to teach children are opposed to this, nevertheless. What do you think? Please tell us about your theatrical learning experiences!

a.Dramatic storytelling cannot be used to teach.

b.Putting your reaction in a forum on the internet

c.What do you think?

d.Share a personal story

4English HKDSE 2014 Q4

Studying social issues while learning English (Letter to the Editor)

Some people think it should not be permitted to make movies in the city centre. Others agree with it. Send a letter with your thoughts to the editor of the Hong Kong Daily. Provide three justifications for your position.

1. movie production in the city’s centre

b.Compose an editorial letter.

c.expressing your thought English

5 HKDSE 2014 Q5

Using debate to teach English (Letter to the principal)

Debating as a means of learning English Now, only a few pupils at your school have access to lockers. You have gathered the opinions of students from various classes on this matter as the president of your school’s student union. To convince Ms. Lee, the principal of your school, to alter the locker policy, write a letter to her.

1. There are only a few kids at your school who have access to lockers.

b.Send a letter to the principal of your school.

c.Convince her to alter the locker policy.

6 English HKDSE 2015 Q5

Using debate to teach English (Letter to the editor)

The harbour front in Hong Kong still has a lot of underdeveloped areas. Some contend that these places should be left as open space for public use, while some propose exploiting these areas for residential and commercial use. Send an email to the editor of the Hong Kong Daily expressing your support or opposition to keeping certain locations open to the public. Three reasons should be used to support your position.

1. Send a letter to the Hong Kong Daily’s editor.

2.Give your view on whether the harbourfront’s undeveloped sections should be exploited for commercial and residential development or remain accessible to the public.

3.Provide three justifications

7HKDSE Q2 2016 (Letter to the Editor)

Some residents of your town have requested that schools allow the public to use their sports facilities outside school hours due to the paucity of sports facilities.

Express your thoughts in a letter to the editor of the Hong Kong Daily. Provide three reasons to back up your position.

1. Schools should make their sporting facilities available to the public beyond school hours.

b.expressing your position and providing three arguments

8 HKDSE Q3 2016 (Article)

Via Workplace Conversation, I’m Learning English

Several graduates from Hong Kong lament the city’s dearth of work possibilities. It has been suggested that graduates who are unsuccessful in finding employment in Hong Kong should explore for openings in other Asian locations. Do you agree with this recommendation?

Express your opinions in a magazine article for your school. Provide three justifications for your opinions. Give your piece a title that is acceptable.

1. Graduates who are unable to find employment in Hong Kong may search for chances in other Asian locations.

b.presenting three reasons for your position

9 HKDSE Q4 2016 (Letter to the Editor)

Using debate to teach English

According to recent reports, some parents in Asian nations are placing applications on their kids’ smartphones to keep an eye on what they’re up to and make sure they’re using them appropriately.

If you agree or disagree with these parents’ behaviour, write a letter to the Young Post. List three reasons to support your position.

1. Some parents in Asian nations download applications to their kids’ smartphones.

b.Use these tools sensibly.

c.Provide three reasons to support your position.

10 HKDSE Q4 2017 (Essay)

Do I still feel love in my heart? As of this evening, I had never witnessed pure beauty.

Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet

You have studied plays on romantic love in your drama classes. Is Romantic Love Essential for a Successful Marriage? is the question that your acting teacher has given you to address in an essay.

Publish your essay.

a.You have been watching plays about a romantic relationship.

b.Is Romantic Love Required for a Successful Marriage?

c.Publish your essay.

11 HKDSE Q6 2017 (Debate Speech)

Using debate to teach English

You have been requested to compose a debate speech because you are the debate team captain. It is your job to make the case that “Watching TV Makes Us Smarter.”

You should give three justifications for the statement in your speech.

Create a speech.

a.”Watching TV Makes Us Smarter,” you may say.

b.Support the assertion

c.Provide three justifications

d.Compose a speech for a debate.

12 HKDSE 2017 Q8  (Article)

Dancers are not typically viewed as athletes, in contrast to basketball or swimming. You have been requested to write an article for your school magazine as a member of the dance team. Use the headings and title below to argue that dancers are athletes.

Athletes Are Dancers

Physical stamina and aptitude

Self-control & Training

a.The titles and headings below should be used to reinforce the notion that dancers are athletes.

b.Article creation

13 HKDSE Q9 2017 (Letter to the Editor)

It has lately been asserted that many recent university graduates in Hong Kong are less motivated and willing to take on difficulties than in the past.

You vehemently reject this viewpoint. Send an email to the editor of the Hong Kong Daily expressing your disagreement with this viewpoint. Include three arguments and/or examples to support your position.

1. In comparison to earlier generations, many Hong Kong’s recent university graduates are less motivated and challenge-averse.

b.You vehemently disagree with this statement.

c.Compose an editorial letter.

d.Provide three explanations or examples to back up your position.

14 HKDSE Q2 2018 (Blog – Informal)

You recently completed your first Hong Kong Marathon.

To inspire other young people to participate in the upcoming marathon, write a blog that will be published on the Hong Kong Marathon website.

a.Recently, you completed the Hong Kong Marathon.

b.Create a blog to be published on the website for the Hong Kong Marathon.

c.Urge young people to participate in the upcoming marathon

15 HKDSE Q5 2018 (Debate Speech)

Using debate to teach English

You are participating in an interschool debate as a representative of your school. “The policy of disclosing pupils’ class positions should be abolished,” reads the resolution.

Make an argument for or against the motion in a debate speech.

a.Compose a speech for a debate.

b.advocating for or against the removal of the system of class positions

16 HKDSE Q7 2018 (Article – Semi-formal)

Dramatic English language instruction

More people should go see plays, according to the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts (HKAPA). They intend to accomplish this by showcasing videos of live drama performances from theatres all over the world.

One of these recordings is the one you just watched. Write an article for Showbiz magazine debating the effectiveness of these recordings in luring viewers to theatre performances.

1. display recordings of live drama performances from theatres across the globe on video.

b.Publish a piece in Showbiz magazine.

c.examining whether using these recordings can increase the number of theatregoers

The Article

The first sentence ()

1. 帶出題目
  2. 介紹正反觀點
  3. 清楚表明你的立場

In paragraph 2 (),

1. 標題句
  2. 詳細解釋 (普遍情況、個別例子、比較)
  3. 總結句

In paragraph 3 (),

1. 標題句
  2. 詳細解釋 (普遍情況、數據、個別例子、比較) s3. 總結句

Fourth paragraph ()

1. 反方觀點
  2. 讓步,承認對方的觀點有一定的合理性
  3. 反駁句
  4. 詳細解釋 (普遍情況、數據、個別例子、比較) s5. 總結句

In paragraph 5 (),

1. 重申立場,歸納所有論據
  2. 對未來的展望

An editorial letter

Sincerely, paragraph 1

(介紹)

1. 帶出題目
  2. 介紹正反觀點
  3. 清楚表明你的立場
  4. In paragraph 2 ().
  5. 詳細解釋 (普遍情況、個別例子、比較) s3. 總結句

In paragraph 3 (),

1. 標題句
  2. 詳細解釋 (普遍情況、數據、個別例子、比較)
  3. 總結句

Fourth paragraph ()

1. 反方觀點
  2. 讓步,承認對方的觀點有一定的合理性
  3. 反駁句
  4. 詳細解釋 (普遍情況、數據、個別例子、比較)
  5. 總結句

In paragraph 5 (first sentence),

1. 對未來的展望

Yours faithfully,

C S. Wong

C S. Wong

範文 — Several people advocate for our city to completely ban smoking. Write a piece to share your perspective.

A complete prohibition on smoking is necessary.

In recent years, our society has been divided over the topic of a complete smoking ban.A smoking ban in all entertainment places across the area, for instance, is something that the business community and investors do not support. Others, however, believe that the public health will be compromised if entertainment places like mahjong parlours are exempted.

For instance, I believe that the government of Hong Kong must immediately enact a complete smoking ban. I’ll explain my points in the paragraphs that follow.

To begin with, it is important to recognise that the benefits of good health outweigh the costs associated with outlawing smoking. It is clear that smoking is bad for our health, for instance. As we all know, smoking can have some unpleasant side effects, including bad breath, terrible skin, and diminished fitness. We frequently pant after engaging in strenuous exercise if we smoke. But, smoking can also result in heart disease and lung cancer, both of which are fatal. Recent scientific studies have found that second-hand smoking is significantly more harmful and deadly than first-hand smoke. So, it is a pressing public health concern to stop smokers from harming both themselves and others, such as consumers and employees.

One further measure to increase safety in entertainment places is a complete smoking prohibition. For instance, in Hong Kong, these venues are frequently located in historic structures in areas like Sham Shui Po and Yau Ma Tei. Everyone is aware that abandoned cigarettes frequently result in fire. Smoke from a fire can quickly spread to other regions. To make problems worse, historic structures’ escape routes are occasionally obstructed by trash. Customers of entertainment venues won’t be able to flee the scene in the event of a serious fire, which will cause many fatalities. As a result, a complete smoking prohibition by the government is imperative.

Despite the points presented above, many people continue to stress that a territory-wide smoking ban will severely limit the number of people who frequent entertainment establishments and aggravate the unemployment issue. The ban will unquestionably have a negative impact on these venues’ business.Nonetheless, we must keep in mind that smoking has a high cost to our health. A study by Hong Kong University found that treating diseases linked to smoking costs more than $5 billion annually. As was already said, smoking contributes to chronic illnesses including heart disease and lung cancer. The cost of treating smokers will place a significant financial strain on our government because the majority of people in Hong Kong use public medical services. For the sake of the welfare of our entire society, a territory-wide smoking ban should unquestionably be imposed after weighing the costs and advantages.

In order to protect the public’s health and avert fire tragedies, the government should enact a complete smoking ban. Smoking will result in short-term financial hardship, but the enormous long-term expense will be reduced. As a result, the government should no longer delay. It needs to take the action as quickly as possible.

範文 :

I am writing to share my opinions about the filming of movies in the city’s core.

I recognise that there are still a lot of doubts and concerns about this contentious topic given the recent heated conversations on it. Yet after taking into account the needs of the populace, the growth of our city, and the requirement to support local culture, I think it is best for the government to approve the plan.

To begin with, a lot of Hong Kong residents are movie enthusiasts and want movies to be filmed in the city centre since it is significant and symbolic to them. Evidently, they find it exciting to watch a story unfold in an area they are familiar with. Sadly, foreign films like those from Hollywood and Korea predominate in local theatres. Local movies are falling behind because the locations where they are filmed are not appealing and realistic enough to bring in the local audience. Unquestionably, permitting movies to be filmed in the city centre is crucial for local films to succeed in winning over Hong Kong audiences. Locals will be more willing to see movies when they are filmed at distinctive local sites like the IFC Tower in Central and the Clock Tower in Tsim Sha Tsui Many Hong Kongers will proudly tell the outsiders that our city also has its own films because they feel so strongly about their city.

Noting that permitting filming in the heart of the city can support the film industry and strengthen Hong Kong’s economy is also important. Everyone is aware that Hong Kong is a cosmopolitan metropolis and a prominent global financial hub. But Hong Kong’s expansion in other sectors—aside from the financial sector—leaves a lot to be desired. It might be argued that Hong Kong’s sustainable development is harmed by the excessive concentration on money. It is crucial to boost the cultural industry in order to diversify the local economy. Due to the restricted land availability, the government may find it challenging to preserve cultural assets, but it should make every effort to support the development of the film industry. The USA may make billions of dollars a year by advertising Hollywood films. Similarly, by permitting filming to occur in the heart of the city, the Hong Kong government should hasten the growth of the local film industry. The booming film industry will have a significant positive impact on the Hong Kong economy in the long run.

Also, regional films shot in the city centre might draw in tourists and encourage the growth of the tourism industry. Foreigners will be able to experience the spectacular beauty of our city centre through the viewing of our films, from the magnificent nighttime vista of Victoria Harbour to the vibrant street culture of Mong Kok. Also, they can get a taste of Hong Kong residents’ way of life. As local films showcasing Hong Kong’s stunning locations are shown abroad, an increasing number of foreigners will be inspired to come to Hong Kong to learn more about our city, boosting the local tourism industry and providing us with significant economic benefits. Not only will Hong Kong see sustainable economic growth as a result of permitting movies to be filmed in the city centre, but our native culture and traditions will also be encouraged.

As was already said, shooting movies in a city’s core can boost tourism and support regional economic expansion. Some may argue that filming movies in the heart of the city will disturb the peace of the populace and interfere with daily life in the area. In some instances, this may undoubtedly be the case. But, we must understand that they only last a short while.

It is important to keep in mind that local movies are frequently shot within a brief period of time, such as one to two weeks. Most significantly, they should prioritise Hong Kong’s long-term growth as a responsible government and as residents who genuinely love the city and protect its interests. If it is possible to film in the heart of the city, the film industry and, consequently, the tourism sector will support Hong Kong’s long-term economic growth. There is no doubt that the enormous economic advantages of filming in the city centre will vastly outweigh the short-term inconvenience experienced by locals.

It is abundantly evident, based on the aforementioned factors, that allowing filming in the city’s centre benefits Hong Kong more than it harms it.Everyone may rest comfortable that supporting our film sector will ultimately help people, even if I recognise that the government must strike a balance between development and citizens’ interests. It will undoubtedly be a blessing for everyone.So why do you still hold off? Let’s move quickly to approve movie shooting in the city centre. Seeing local films that can show the world the beauty of Hong Kong and witnessing the local film industry grow are two things I am looking forward to.

Yours sincerely,

CS. Wong

Content7/76/7
Language7/76/7
Organization6/76/7
Total20/2118/21
38/42 (5**)

範文: English HKDSE 2014 Q

learning English through  Studying social issues

Dear editor

I’m writing to express my support for movie production in Hong Kong. There have been recent reports of clashes between Central residents and those filming movies there. They contend that filming interferes with their life, and as a result, they think it should be illegal to film in metropolitan areas. But, after weighing the long-term benefits and drawbacks of filmmaking in Hong Kong, I am convinced that it should be permitted.

Starting off, filming movies in the heart of the city can draw more tourists to Hong Kong. This is due to the fact that the city centre will serve as the backdrop for the films while they are being filmed, and as a result of globalisation, these films will be distributed throughout the world, including in Britain, Australia, the United States, and Japan. People from these nations not only obtain a deeper grasp of Hong Kong, but they might also swarm there due to the fascinating local culture. A compelling example is that if moviegoers see scenes of Mong Kok’s phoney shark fin soup, stinky tofu, and other local delicacies, they might find the food appetising and want to travel to Hong Kong. It seems that making movies in the city centre helps to introduce visitors from all over the world to Hong Kong’s unique culture. As a result, more visitors would flood Hong Kong, greatly enhancing its tourism. It is possible to encourage local economic development and raise Hong Kong residents’ standards of living through having an impact on people from all walks of life.

Another thing to keep in mind is that permitting movies to be filmed in Hong Kong’s downtown will help to improve Hong Kong’s reputation and image abroad. The film Echoes of the Rainbow, which was shot on Wing Lee Street, won an honourable mention at the 2010 Berlin International Film Festival. Following then, the news was covered globally by many media organisations like the New York Times, BBC, and Yahoo News. As a result, Hong Kong is now more well-known abroad. With this in mind, it doesn’t take much to recognise that Hong Kong can once again capture the attention of the globe if the films shot in the city’s centre win awards. Without a doubt, this will help to promote Hong Kong as a global metropolis and improve its reputation.

We must not ignore another benefit that comes along with enhancing Hong Kong’s reputation: locals can expand their movie horizons. We all know that locals rarely get the chance to watch movies being filmed in Hong Kong. Movies are typically filmed abroad, whether they are domestic or foreign productions. But, if there is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for movies to be made in the stunning city centre, Hong Kong should unquestionably seize this priceless opportunity. As a result, residents in Hong Kong can learn more about the filmmaking process. What’s more noteworthy is that they get to see the stunning movie scenes with their own eyes, not those of the camera, and they get to see famous actors like Angelina Jolie, Emma Watson, and Jay Chou! According to this line of reasoning, it is unquestionably true that allowing movies in the city centre helps locals broaden their perspectives and horizons.

Individuals who disagree with my position can assert that shooting movies in the city centre severely disturbs the residents by causing traffic congestion and store closure Regardless of how persuasive this argument appears to be, we should consider the following: Is the annoyance momentary or ongoing? Do people like to see famous actors in movies? Are there usually prospects for filming in the city centre? I firmly believe that the long-term advantages of filming movies for a few days to a few weeks exceed the short-term hardships.

Filming in the city centre need to be permitted for the sake of Hong Kong’s long-term growth and its residents.

I firmly believe that it should be permitted to film movies in the city centre after taking everything into account. We must keep in mind that films shot in the city’s core can promote Hong Kong’s reputation and image abroad, draw tourists to the city and boost its economy, and help locals expand their horizons. Given the importance of the opportunity, Hong Kong must not pass it up.

下款

Yours faithfully,

C S. Wong

Content7/77/7
Language6/77/7
Organization6/77/7
Total19/2121/21
40/42 (5**)

範文

Learning English through debating

Now, only a few pupils at your school have access to lockers. You have gathered the opinions of students from various classes on this matter as the president of your school’s student union. To convince Ms. Lee, the principal of your school, to alter the locker policy, write a letter to her.

Hello Ms. Lee.

On behalf of the Student Union, I’m writing to express my opinion regarding the locker policy.  We recently gathered the opinions of classmates from various courses on the topic of restricting access to school lockers to a select group of students. After examining the opinions gathered, it can be said that most classmates are against such a policy.Due to convenience and fairness, we wish the school can amend the regulations regarding lockers.

To begin with, altering the policy about lockers can benefit all students. Every day, all students are required to carry a huge stack of textbooks that would be difficult for an adult to lift, much less an adolescent with weak muscles. Students in the junior form have various Physical Education and Home Economics classes each week. Due to the necessary equipment, supplies, and uniforms, students typically carry two to three purses in addition to their schoolbags. They not only give their senior form colleagues enormous inconvenience, but also their younger form classmates. Many senior form students are required to take additional classes at school and extra lessons at tutorial centres in order to prepare for the HKDSE. We can picture how awkward it would be for a teenager to run after school to the adjacent MTR station while carrying a bulky school bag, two eco-friendly handbags, and a load of instructional materials. It seems that classmates have an enormous weight.

The aforementioned issues will be resolved and coming to school will be more convenient for classmates if the locker policy is changed.

In addition to convenience, fairness in regards to the locker policy is crucial, if not necessary. Only the athletes who compete for the school’s sports teams are permitted entrance to the locker rooms, thus they are viewed as superior by their fellow students. According to the opinions gathered, several classmates complained about teachers’ favouritism of athletes in reference to their exclusive usage of the school lockers. Since they weren’t treated equally, many students have grown to despise and feel inferior to professional athletes. In addition to endangering the self-esteem of regular schoolmates, this phenomena will ruin the school’s peaceful environment due to the athletes’ widespread hostility. As it can maintain justice and equality in our school, modifying the policy on lockers to allow access by all students is essential in an effort to address the aforementioned issues.

As all students congregate outside lockers to remove various textbooks and materials before to the start of class, some teachers may argue that modifying the locker rules will cause pandemonium.Unquestionably, it can take a while for our classmates to retrieve their textbooks from the lockers.

But, if pupils are disciplined, we should be aware that this will not inevitably result in anarchy. We feel that because of everyone’s polite demeanour at school, they have the self-control to line up in a neat line to retrieve their possessions from lockers. The entire process will go smoothly provided that the lockers are organised methodically in accordance with classmates’ class numbers and the locations of their seats. Moreover, keep in mind that there is a 10-minute break in between each session. Clearly, the sufficient time provided for our pupils will avoid turmoil. So, modifying the school’s locker policy won’t interfere with how things normally get done at our institution.

Finally, having equitable access to lockers may make life easier for our schoolmates and guarantee that every kid is treated fairly, regardless of their abilities. We therefore strongly hope that the school would change its policy on lockers in order to allay the worries of our classmates and foster a more welcoming environment for everyone.

Yours faithfully,

C S. Wong

C S. Wong

President of the Student Union

Content7/77/7
Language7/76/7
Organization7/76/7
Total21/2119/21
40/42 (5**)

範文

Dear Editor,

Luxurious apartments or a public space for calm gatherings? Rich towers or a fantastic location for Tai chi and mass dance? A new IFC or a location to take in Hong Kong’s harborfront? Several regions of Hong Kong’s harbour front are still undeveloped, thus some people propose developing these areas for residential and commercial use. While some applaud the concept and think that the increasing availability of homes and offices will lower real estate costs and office rent, others are opposed, arguing that these spaces should be left as public open space. After giving the matter significant thought, I am adamant that converting these spaces into public open space is not only preferable but also necessary.

To start, keeping the harbour front open space can encourage Hong Kong residents to live more slowly, which will benefit their health. People in this chaotic city work day and night to make a living, which makes them disregard the value of downtime and rest. People are buried in a neighbourhood of flats and offices because there isn’t much public open space in the city, and they have little opportunities to unwind and exercise. People will find it more convenient to have a location for recreation if there is public open space along the harbour front. Some of them, drawn by the captivating harbour view, can simply stop by for a conversation with friends in the open area, allowing individuals to take a break from their work for a while and take in some fresh air. Some of them might even take part in the numerous exercises offered in the open area, such Tai Chi and group dancing. Use mainland China as an illustration. It is simple for us to observe people dancing merrily in a public area while listening to upbeat music. Children, adults who aren’t working, and senior citizens all take part in this “Plaza Dancing” activity. Hence, it is obvious that certain Hong Kong residents will be able to take pleasure in these activities, giving them a chance to get a little exercise and stretch their muscles. On the other hand, abandoning the harbour front for residential and commercial purposes emphasises even more how much the city values money and labour. People will suffer from a lack of leisure time, rest, and exercise as a result of continuing to bury their heads in mountains of work, which will worsen their health.

As we can see, by giving Hong Kong residents more opportunity to recharge, leaving the harbour front open allows them to enjoy better health.

It should be mentioned as well that the concept of having open space along the harbour front can help Hong Kong maintain its appeal as a travel destination. Hong Kong’s breathtaking harbour scenery is well known. Millions of people are drawn to Victoria Harbour by its breathtaking beauty rather than by the high-end retail malls that are found everywhere else in the world. Visitors can enjoy the ideal vantage point for viewing the intriguing harbour and the gleaming skyscrapers in Central and Tsim Sha Tsui by keeping the harbour front open. Furthermore, it should be noted that foreigners, who frequently place a high value on work-life balance, will undoubtedly value the city’s offer of open space for participating in sports and having a family picnic. The great density of residential and commercial buildings being built along the harborfront, on the other hand, may disappoint visitors, giving them the impression that Hong Kong is a busy concrete jungle devoid of leisure and enjoyment. Many tourists may choose to travel to places like Phuket or the Maldives with the goal of obtaining spiritual relaxation because of its beautiful beaches and tranquilly. Long-term economic stagnation and job losses will result from the tourist industry’s decline in Hong Kong. Obviously, leaving the harbour front open space should win over adding homes and businesses for the sake of the sustained growth of our tourist.

Opponents may disagree with my position and point out that exploiting the harbour front for residential and commercial development can increase the supply of apartments and offices, drive down real estate prices and rents, and lessen the financial burden on local residents This claim seems to be true at first look. But, it is actually disconnected from reality.

It should be underlined that the lack of apartments and offices should not be blamed for the skyrocketing real estate prices.In our city, there are a lot of empty apartments and offices, according to press sources. The truth is that locals and mainland investors are hoarding real estate for speculative purposes, which is why their prices are rising. The government should penalise speculators by enacting “triple stamp duty” and reserve a substantial number of flats for local people’s residential needs, much like Singapore, in order to ease the financial burden on the populace. The government can also develop property in Southern Yuen Long and Tuen Mun, which are renowned for their enormous expanses of idle flatland, in order to long-term meet the housing demand of the populace. In other words, there are numerous alternatives to constructing residential and business districts along the harbour front with the purpose of reducing the problem of increasing property and office prices. It is crucial that the government leave the harbour front open to the public given the demand from the populace for leisure time and the need for the tourism sector to grow sustainably.

In conclusion, keeping the harbour front exposed to the public is a better option than adding more apartments and offices. The open space along the harbour front is what can calm down the minds of the populace and maintain the health of our tourism industry.

2.對未來的展望

We can only hope that the government would take Hong Kong’s long-term growth into account and turn our lovely harbour front into a calm haven for enjoyment!

Yours sincerely,

C S. Wong

Content7/77/7
Language7/76/7
Organization7/76/7
Total21/2119/21
40/42 (5**)

範文 HKDSE Q3 2016
Learning English through workplace communication

Several graduates from Hong Kong lament the city’s dearth of work possibilities. It has been suggested that graduates who are unsuccessful in finding employment in Hong Kong should explore for openings in other Asian locations. Do you agree with this recommendation? Express your opinions in a magazine article for your school. Provide three justifications for your opinions. Give your piece a title that is acceptable.

Young people, don’t leave your hometown

Although Hong Kong takes pride in being a wealthy and thriving city, many young people really find it to be a place where they are unable to even obtain employment. It has been proposed that graduates could hunt for employment in other Asian cities as the number of unemployed graduates has been rising recently.

Although the idea may seem reasonable, I personally do not agree with it.

First off, it can be challenging for local young graduates to get good work in Asian cities. It is true that many recent graduates find it difficult to find a job in Hong Kong due to the fierce competition there, especially for those without a university degree. But is it really so difficult to get a respectable, well-paying job in other Asian cities? Individuals who select “yes” should not hold back from getting a glimpse of Japan’s high youth unemployment rate and other economic issues. Another potentially viable option is Korea, a nation whose economy is strongly dependent on the travel and tourism sector. Teenagers in Korea might not be able to easily discover the right employment for them. I worry that sending young graduates to Asian cities in search of fresh chances won’t guarantee them a bright future, but would instead increase uncertainty and obstruct their long-term development.

Young people might not want to work in other Asian cities since they are unfamiliar with them, in addition to the difficulties in finding a suitable job there. They consider Hong Kong to be their comfortable home, where they are raised and cared for. Some of them would naturally and understandably want to advance their careers in the environment they are familiar with. They will undoubtedly gain independence and toughness if they operate alone in other Asian cities. Yet, some of them might not be prepared to leave their families and friends merely for employment, so this may not be what they wish for. After all, while employment is a necessary component of our lives, it is by no means the only aspect.

In addition to the reasons previously discussed, let’s consider the matter from a different angle: is it beneficial for Hong Kong’s long-term development if the unemployed go to other Asian cities and join the labour force? The gifted cannot contribute to the advancement of our civilization if they labour in other nations. Their personal traits, as well as the savvy and useful abilities they pick up in Hong Kong, will serve as presents from a haven to other Asian cities. Then, with Singapore and Shanghai catching up in terms of economic development, how can Hong Kong compete? How can Hong Kong maintain its status as a recognised commercial hub? Without the group of energetic, creative, and conscientious adults, how can we create new ideas and make improvements?

Some people think there would be less unhappiness in our society if unemployed young people could find employment in Asian cities and relocate there. Although it seems reasonable, this reasoning is absurd. I am concerned that the inhabitants’ sense of belonging to Hong Kong will be significantly diminished if everyone is prepared to move out of the city for employment after graduation. They could no longer think of Hong Kong as their comfortable home, but rather as just a place they are visiting to study. We are definitely in danger because our sense of community and relationship will be destroyed. So how can we help one another and overcome every challenge together?

Encouragement of young people to seek opportunities in other Asian cities, in my opinion, is not a permanent solution to Hong Kong’s issue with youth unemployment. Putting the cart before the horse is all that it is. Young people should have the opportunity to contribute to their community by being given greater possibilities by local firms in Hong Kong, I hope.

Content7/77/7
Language6/76/7
Organization6/77/7
Total19/2120/21
39/42 (5**)

範文 : HKDSE Q3 2016

Why remain in Hong Kong when opportunities exist elsewhere?

Have you ever considered your future employment after graduating? Even though it may not alarm you at the moment, it is nothing new that many local grads are lamenting the scarcity of job possibilities in this area.  I agree with the idea that those who are unable to find employment in Hong Kong should consider opportunities in other Asian cities, and I’d want to explain why by referencing the current circumstances, the allure of other locations, and the viability.

To begin with, their claim is not without foundation. It’s true that there aren’t many prospects for young people in the city, especially recent grads.  Hong Kong has been evolving into a knowledge-based economy and a global financial hub since the 1980s. All is well thus far. The issue is that, despite numerous pundits’ recommendations that the HKSAR government take steps to diversify the economy, Hong Kong is still strongly dependent on the “Four Pillars” at the moment, and sectors like information technology and biotechnology are either underdeveloped or ignored. What effects will this have on local graduates? If you work in those important and successful areas, you shouldn’t have any trouble advancing your career, but if you’re not very good at or interested in becoming an accountant or an i-banker, you might find it challenging to find employment on your own. Due to this, many graduates struggle to find employment—let alone a good job—despite the low overall unemployment rate. Hong Kong also confronts intense competition from cities and regions all over the world as a result of globalisation. If a company believes you to be substantially less competitive, it can simply recruit a foreign graduate in your place. It might even relocate the entire manufacturing pipelines, which would result in the unemployment of production stage specialists. As a result, many graduates will undoubtedly need to look for work in other places.

In comparison, several Asian cities provide our graduates with greater prospects. For instance, unlike Hong Kong, Taipei is a centre for technology, making it simple for IT professionals or individuals with a speciality in, say, semiconductor manufacture, to get employment there. In comparison to Hong Kong, many Asian cities not only have economies that are more diverse, but they also place a higher importance on entrepreneurship. Use Singapore as an illustration. The Lion City boasts a thriving startup scene. If you have some creative ideas that could completely alter our way of life, you don’t even need to be an employee. If a potential investor thinks your concept is sound and feasible, you might even be able to launch your own company. In other words, you are, in a sense, generating possibilities for yourself. Others could contend that looking for work in other Asian cities is pointless and even detrimental. Do you consider yourself to be so competitive as to be employed by businesses in other places if you can’t even acquire a job there, not to mention the fact that you are at a disadvantage to the locals due to cultural differences? I must disagree. Although there is no assurance that you will find employment elsewhere, our graduates do have another possibility. If staying at home won’t help you, why not look into other options? Perhaps Hong Kong does not value and recognise your talent. The future? Try it; you won’t regret it at least.

In addition to comparing Hong Kong to other Asian cities, feasibility is another important factor. Do you have any doubts about our graduates’ ability to acclimatise to life in other cities? We should never undervalue the skills and potential of local graduates, I can promise you of that. The first advantage our pupils have over rivals is their command of the language. I’ve seen firsthand how fluent many of my classmates are in both Putonghua and English, and I think it’s amazing. Certainly, the colonial control of the British government and the handover in 1997 are to blame for this. Hong Kong, a global metropolis, has produced graduates with what is referred to be “global vision.” Rarely have I encountered someone who is ignorant of world events, such as the terrorist assault in Paris last year. Most local graduates are at least somewhat aware of events happening throughout the world. Our graduates also benefit from having grown up in a multicultural metropolis thanks to this. Despite reports that some locals are upset by certain unruly behaviour by some mainland visitors, most Hong Kong residents are generally reasonable, receptive to diverse cultures, and rarely, if ever, engage in discrimination against others based on their race or sexual orientation. Given their commitment to respect the regional traditions and customs, I think our graduates will be able to adjust to the cultures and social norms of other Asian cities fairly well.

In conclusion, the idea is workable and has the potential to significantly improve Hong Kong’s job situation. Why stay in Hong Kong if you can find work elsewhere when there are so many opportunities?

Content7/77/7
Language6/76/7
Organization7/77/7
Total20/2120/21
40/42 (5**)

範文 — Learning English through workplace communication

Success comes from working in other Asian cities

Recent research by Ming Pao suggests that local graduates are having difficulty finding employment in Hong Kong as a result of the recent economic crisis. The same study also showed that there are more job prospects due to particular regions’ economic booms. There are a variety of career prospects in many various industries, including the hotel business, retail business, financial business, you name it, in cities like Shanghai, Singapore, Bangkok, and Kuala Lumpur. Specialized college graduates from Hong Kong should take advantage of these excellent chances since they will not only advance their careers but also improve their quality of life.

University graduates are urged to look for employment in other Asian cities due to their aptitude. Malaysia and Indonesia are two of the region’s developing nations that yearn for foreign experts to aid in the development of their nations in many fields, such as logistics or banking. Hong Kong graduates are very competitive in this regard and are able to prosper should they get employment in such sectors because there are many degree-granting or applied learning courses based on the aforementioned fields offered there. Also, the majority of graduates’ competence in English and Mandarin contributes to their competitiveness. The New Senior Secondary curriculum includes English, which facilitates communication in foreign cities like Singapore and breaks down communication barriers between the two locations. The city with a high level of English proficiency has much to live up to. Speaking Mandarin also makes it easier to communicate in rapidly expanding mainland cities like Beijing and Guangzhou. If graduates have the potential, they should look into these locations because even these offer significantly more career chances than Hong Kong.

Working in other Asian cities is appealing due to the security of employment, which is another significant aspect. Some cities in Southeast Asia are able to offer an absurd amount of job chances thanks to the booming market, developing economy, and improved working conditions. In comparison, it would be difficult to find a job in Hong Kong due to the market’s extreme saturation. Hong Kong grads can readily obtain employment thanks to the large number of jobs in Asian cities. Local grads are drawn to the area’s rising wages. The remuneration in these nations is quite gratifying and is only going to rise as cities in Southeast Asia turn their attention to high value-added sectors rather than mass manufacturing industries. Who wouldn’t want to work steadily and make a good living? Therefore, it is advised for graduates from Hong Kong to work in other Asian cities, especially if they have the skills.

Working in other Asian cities might expose local graduates to international cultures in addition to financial benefits.Graduates who study in Hong Kong hardly ever have the opportunity to interact with cultures outside of Hong Kong. Without sufficient opportunities, Hong Kong graduates’ ability to develop a global perspective is likely to be hindered. They are essentially restricted to staying and living in one particular city while working in other Asian cities; only through this experience can they expand their perspectives. They can take part in a variety of neighbourhood celebrations over the holidays to better appreciate the culture of the city. They have the opportunity to acquire and master foreign languages because they live in a city where everyone speaks a language other than their own, such as Malay, Thai, Japanese, or Korean. This makes them more competitive and makes their stay more fun. They might as well observe firsthand the vast disparities between Hong Kong and other cities’ lifestyles while savouring regional cuisine. Even nearby locations like Taiwan and Macau have cultures that are different from Hong Kong’s.  It was clear that working in other Asian cities might undoubtedly be advantageous to graduates’ long-term development.

The last thing we want to experience after finishing high school or college is unemployment. Working in other Asian cities appears to be the greatest option if graduates are having trouble obtaining jobs locally because it has a variety of benefits

If they choose well, I have no doubt that their lives will be considerably enhanced!

Content7/7
Language7/7
Organization6/7
Total20/21
39/42 (5**)

範文

According to recent reports, some parents in Asian nations are placing applications on their kids’ smartphones to keep an eye on what they’re up to and make sure they’re using them appropriately. If you agree or disagree with these parents’ behaviour, write a letter to the Young Post. List three reasons to support your position.

Dear Editor,

Many people are concerned about the trend of Asian parents installing applications on their kids’ smartphones to keep an eye on what they’re up to and make sure they’re using them appropriately. Proponents believe that parents can prevent their kids from using these devices in an unhealthy way. Yet, detractors claim that this undermines teens’ feelings of independence and violates their privacy. Although opinions vary, I agree that the parents’ actions are sensible and advisable. I’m writing to explain my position in this letter.

None of the other justifications I have for supporting the Asian parents’ decision are as important as the one that forbids kids from using their smart devices for an excessively long time. Everyone agrees that today’s teenagers lack self-control. Teenagers are glued to their smartphones due to the appealing information available in the cyber world. Have you ever noticed kids in your vicinity using their iPhones to avoid looking out the window at the stunning view while riding the MTR? Everyone has probably encountered it at some point. With this in mind, it is the duty of parents to assist teenagers in learning how to use phones appropriately. Parents can learn how much time their cherished sons and daughters spend on the handheld devices by installing these monitoring apps. With the knowledge, people may engage the next generation in meaningful conversation and express their concerns. After that, perhaps the pairs can establish rules together. It stops teenagers from being controlled by their phones; instead, they should learn to control them. As a result, parents can control how much exposure their kids have to phones, and young children can form a positive phone usage habit. As a result, they have more time to devote to other important activities, such as participating in sports, exploring their artistic talents, or volunteering.

This suggests that Asian parents installing these apps on their kids’ phones is reasonable.

We should never ignore the reality that installing apps can stop kids from engaging in inappropriate online behaviour, in addition to protecting them from becoming ensnared by sinister smart devices. The younger generation in this technology age enjoys using cellphones to access social networking sites. Sadly, they could engage in inappropriate behaviour like cyberbullying. Parents are unlikely to discover what their children have done online if they lack the ability to monitor their phone use. Parents will catch it right away once the teenagers start their act thanks to the apps on their phones. This way, kids could reconsider their actions before engaging in inappropriate behaviour. This helps kids build their morality by preventing them from straying due to illogical thinking. It pays to keep the younger generation from acting inappropriately because more and more global employers, like Google, are looking at job applicants’ internet reviews. In other words, keeping kids from acting inappropriately online can protect their future professional development.

Why then don’t we take these advantages into account and encourage the kind parents’ initiative?

Installing apps on kids’ smartphones is essential for protecting them from harmful information that is easily accessible on the Internet, in addition to preventing them from engaging in inappropriate behaviour online.

Nowadays, anyone can freely upload any type of material on the Internet. Teenagers who use the internet to browse are probably exposed to materials that could skew their moral judgement. Use the game applications as an illustration. Recently, some app development firms released a game in which players had to choose how to assist a girl with plastic surgery. The main character in the game attempted plastic surgery to enhance her appearance. Teens could be persuaded to discount an individual’s inner beauty in favour of focusing just on their outward looks. It’s not a good idea to judge a book by its cover. What would kids become if we let them immerse themselves in a virtual world that is rife with these skewed values? How will the future play out? Also commonplace are sex-themed mobile apps. Installing applications to keep an eye on their kids’ smartphone use is undoubtedly a good idea for parents.

It is beneficial to both the youth themselves and the future of our society to try to shield them from the perilous electronic environment.

For the aforementioned reasons, parents should be encouraged to install applications on their kids’ smartphones to keep an eye on what they’re up to. This will stop them from becoming hooked to the technology and hurting others online. Also, it can keep young children safe from the perilous virtual world.

It is hoped that the younger generation would use mobile phones wisely and take full use of the advantages these smart gadgets can offer them so they can apply these advantages to their professions and other aspects of their lives.

faithfully,

C S. Wong

Content7/77/7
Language6/76/7
Organization7/76/7
Total20/2119/21
39/42 (5**)

範文

You have been requested to compose a debate speech because you are the debate team captain. It is your job to make the case that “Watching TV Makes Us Smarter.”You should give three justifications for the statement in your speech. Write a speech.

Judges, members of the opposition team, ladies and gentlemen,

Good morning. “Watching TV Makes Us Smarter” is today’s motion. Speaking of watching TV, I imagine that some of you have this image in your head of a slothful, overweight man lounging on a sofa, munching on potato chips while glued to the bright screen of a television set in a pitch-black room.  Our team firmly believes that viewing television has many advantages that can improve our intelligence, despite the fact that excessive television consumption might have a negative impact on our lives.

First and foremost, viewing television can broaden our perspectives and provide a window into a world that is out of our reach. Television programmes can be a window for teenagers today, who confine themselves to the curriculum in order to succeed in the tests under this grade-fixated educational system, to learn more about the real world and obtain knowledge that is outside the purview of their studies. Documentaries like “A Man in the Wild,” “A Walk in Modern China,” and “The European Heights,” for instance, feature the landscapes of several continents and shed light on the real lives of locals and natives in diverse remote locations. Can you acquire these through job and study? Most likely not. TV shows allow us to broaden our horizons and learn about various facets of life in addition to providing us with relaxation and amusement. Instead of becoming bookworms who simply memorise study materials for tests, they allow us gain a peek of the outside world and improve our knowledge and awareness of the world, making us smarter.

In addition to enlarging our perspectives, watching television can improve our comprehension of social issues by sharpening our critical thinking abilities as we examine topics through TV programmes. Thanks to the development of information technology, we can now stay up to date on the newest news by visiting websites like Facebook, Apple Daily, Mingpao, and Apple Daily. But do we really comprehend the subject in depth when we skim the headlines’ quick summaries and scroll down the page on our beloved iPhones? Of course not.  As opposed to this, societal issues like the growing wealth disparity in Hong Kong, China’s “One Belt One Road Initiative,” or the refugee crisis in Europe are thoroughly examined in news stories on TV or in films like “The Sunday Profile.” TV reporters speak with political experts and interested parties to explore the contentious social issues in the programmes. By watching these TV shows, we can sharpen our ability to consider issues from several angles and expose government mismanagement. Even though it is convenient, it is difficult to develop critical thinking abilities by taking a quick glance at the electronic device in our hands. In this way, viewing TV helps us strengthen our critical thinking skills, have a better grasp of our culture, and, of course, become smarter.

Last but not least, viewing television helps improve our English language skills, which are crucial for interpersonal contact. English is essential for daily living in Hong Kong, which is known as a “cultural melting pot,” including interactions with foreigners and at work. We can improve our listening and speaking English thanks to television, which has English-language channels. For instance, regularly watching financial news can improve our knowledge of a variety of topics, from firm governance to international economic development. The slang and terms used by foreigners in American soap operas that air on Pearl and HMC can help us expand our vocabulary in English. As a result, we are able to interact with foreigners effectively. In this way, viewing TV can help us improve our language skills, which benefits us and increases our intelligence.

駁論

The opponent may refute my argument by arguing that watching soap operas that only teach us about romance and family strife is harmful and ignorant because it could cause us to become engrossed in the TV show’s virtual world and forget about our real life. The argument is rather weak, though. Of course, watching too much TV can have detrimental effects on our mental and physical health. But, television can actually make us smarter if we use it wisely, selecting informative shows and networks to watch. Also, because television programmes are frequently discussed on numerous web forums like Hkdiscuss and Lihkg, we may learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of a show and make the best decision. It’s also important to note that detective narrative series like Sherlock Holmes and Kindaichi Case Files are good for us because they encourage our logical and creative thinking. According to this. line of reasoning, viewing TV can improve our intelligence so long as we use self-control and select the right shows.

總結

In conclusion, watching TV shows can broaden our horizons by giving us a peek of the outside world, develop our critical thinking abilities by helping us to understand social issues, and improve our English language skills. We firmly believe that viewing television improves our intelligence, hence today’s motion must be upheld. I’m grateful.

Content6/77/7
Language6/77/7
Organization6/77/7
Total18/2121/21
39/42 (5**)

範文

• Athletes Are Dancers
    • Physical stamina and aptitude
    • Self-control & Training

Dancers are sportspeople.

When prompted to provide examples of athletes, what comes to mind? You name it: swimmers, basketball players, 100-meter sprinters, etc. Regrettably, due to several preconceptions, the general public rarely views dancers as a form of athlete. Dancers are actual athletes, and just like other sports, they must have the necessary discipline and expertise to succeed in the dance industry.

Physical Prowess and Abilities. We must remember that physical prowess and aptitude are necessary for extraordinary achievement in both conventional athletic sports and dancing. Athletic sports are frequently thought of as those that emphasise skill over strength, such as gymnastics, which places a premium on bodily balance and the ability to execute graceful moves, and the 1500-meter run, which calls for powerful muscles and a strong cardiovascular system. Likewise, a dancer must meet comparable criteria. For instance, the frequent steps in hip-hop dance demand that dancers have a trained respiratory system that can support strenuous movements and endure for an extended period of time. Hip-hop dancers are also encouraged to have sharp and rapid movements that require the use of strong muscle movements. This demonstrates that, similar to other athletic disciplines, dancing requires dancers to have a particular amount of physical strength. In terms of the talents required, I think dancers themselves need to master a lot more techniques than people who are typically thought of as athletes do. Before becoming professional dancers, dancers should gradually learn all aspects of dancing technique, from movements and steps to teamwork and choreography. It is obvious that dancers, like the athletes competing on the Olympic stage, must exert every effort to hone their unique skill sets.

Self-discipline and instruction

Some contend that dancers do not receive the same level of preparation as athletes who compete on basketball courts, running tracks, or even ice skating rinks. Dancers need to stand up for themselves in the face of those who question whether they are athletes.Dancers frequently dazzle the audience on the town hall stage as they perform spectacular dances, and this is all thanks to their diligent practise in the background. Every dancer receives a series of relentless training sessions before taking the stage, much like the other athletes. Also, keep in mind that they receive corrections from their coaches virtually daily, just like track athletes do, in order to refine everything to a faultless standard. As with athletes, dancers frequently experience major emotional breakdowns while practising. It is certain that dancers’ endurance will be equal to that of sportsmen in all respects. In addition, we can all agree that self-control is essential for all sportsmen. I genuinely understand the need of self-discipline in the process of mastering dancing because I am a member of the school’s dance team. This is the best proof that dancers can also be athletes. Whether they are professional dancers like Liu Man Ting, who excels in ballet, or amateur dancers like me, Yanki Din, who excels in jazz and hip hop, they all have to plan busy schedules for themselves in order to maximise their opportunities for practising and participating in flawless performances. They ought to be considered actual athletes since they exhibit the same levels of discipline and drive as other athletes.

總結

In conclusion, dancers are not viewed as athletes simply because of societal misconceptions and preconceptions. Yet, I do think that dancers are real athletes because they have given it their all to become skilled and tenacious warriors like the other athletes.

Content7/77/7
Language7/77/7
Organization7/77/7
Total21/2121/21
42/42 (5**)

範文 —

Dear Editor,

I’m responding to the letter from 7 April 2017 headlined “Fresh university graduates lack the motivation to work hard and overcome problems.”  I strongly disagree with this assertion as a young businessperson for the following reasons.

In reality, recent university graduates in Hong Kong are eager to investigate new business chances in society, demonstrating their lack of fear of difficulties. The Internet has given the younger generation an abundance of new economic prospects. The 21st century is a century of technical growth. Many recent university graduates in our city have launched their own online businesses, ranging from online stores to online mass media, unafraid of potential failures. One stark illustration of this new industry is 9GAG, a Facebook page that posts memes and jokes and has gone viral not only in Hong Kong but also internationally. In addition to the effort they have put out to successfully run their own firm and achieve phenomenal success, their willingness to create this innovative type of enterprise demonstrates their ability to overcome obstacles. Given the aforementioned pattern, which is increasingly prevalent among the younger generation, how would it be appropriate to label the recent university graduates in Hong Kong as “lazy” and “easily beaten by challenges”?

Nonetheless, some employers can be upset that their new hires are diverting their attention from their work during working hours to social networking sites. It must be admitted that some recent graduates from universities do not give their work their entire attention, but the Hong Kong work culture, not the younger generation, is to blame. Employers around the world are attempting to integrate entertainment into the workplace, with Google being one of the most well-known examples. Similar strategies have already been used by my own business, such as installing televisions in the workplace, and I have never complained that my staff is not hardworking enough. Sadly, most businesses in Hong Kong still demand employees to spend all of their time in front of computers, which is tedious, especially for the younger generation, which prioritises creativity and original ideas. Yet the aforementioned strategy can really be used to address such an issue. I firmly believe that young workers will find more incentives to work and become more diligent if there is more fun in the workplace environment.

As a result, it is evident that the challenges and unhappiness experienced by the senior personnel are the result of Hong Kong’s tedious and uninteresting work culture and should not be attributed to recent university graduates.

駁論

Some persons in the workforce can also assert that it is simple for recent university graduates in Hong Kong to leave their jobs.

At first glance, this might suggest that they are easily overcome by obstacles, but in reality, it shows that a more interactive leadership style is the best option for managing the new hires. A recent news story about a 90s employee quitting his work after receiving a reprimand from his employer has generated a great deal of debate in our culture. Several senior staff members believe that recent college grads lack the skills to overcome challenges at work and are unable to accept responsibility for their own mistakes. But these folks fail to recognise that the younger generation is looking for equality with the older ones. With my own business, my staff members and I meet for lunch once a week so that they may discuss their job and share ideas. The followers of this kind of leadership will feel that they are treated fairly and provided helpful counsel rather than directives for their task. As a result of having more autonomy over their decisions, they may feel a sense of accomplishment when they solve a challenge. From my own experience, I think that young university graduates actually have a strong willingness to take on difficulties when given the right leadership style.

I have a clear understanding of the strengths and desires of the younger generation because I am a young entrepreneur. It is hoped that other city workers will make an effort to interact with their new hires more and have faith in them as the cornerstones of our society in the future.

下款

Yours faithfully ,

1. S. Wong
Content6/76/7
Language6/76/7
Organization6/76/7
Total18/2118/21
36/42 (5*)

範文 — HKDSE Q5 2018

Good morning Judges, members of the opposing team, ladies and gentlemen.

Chris Wong here, leading the team that is in favour of affirmation. The opportunity to speak in favour of the motion “The policy of disclosing students’ class position should be discontinued” is an honour for me today. Can you still clearly remember your emotions when you last received your report card with a long line of numbers indicating your place, guests and students seated here in the hallway? Excited? Delighted? Deflated? Desperate? Do you find it acceptable that a collection of numbers determines your academic performance? My team firmly believes that these rankings are simply evils choking pupils, and the policy should be abandoned as soon as possible, despite the claims of some that they are good indicators that students’ increases in academic performance are driven by them. Three things need to be said by my team.

The most notable flaw in the system is that students’ perceptions of the true goal of education are distorted by class differences, among all other flaws. Students in Hong Kong’s grade-fixated educational system place a great deal of emphasis on exams because they think that doing well in class will secure them a place in a prestigious university and a bright future. Students have long been affected by the extremely demanding educational system, and the practise of reporting students’ class standings has only made the problem worse. What would you do if you saw these figures on the report card? Just imagine. probably to get a glance of your peers’ test scores so you can compare them. If one wins over others, they will get comfortable and become driven to maintain their “elite status,” which will make them fight tooth and nail to obtain a spot in the top tier of their class. From their viewpoint, education would turn into a competition that would obscure its true purpose. One will sink into a dark abyss and consider themselves to be a failing person if they lose this game against others. So, this reporting system for class ranks would be helpful for producing scoring machines but would not sustain the purpose of education, which is to foster the all-around growth of individuals. In light of this, this system shouldn’t be promoted.

The system of reporting students’ class ranks is unjust to students, especially the senior form students, which is significant in addition to the fact that it distorts the objective of education. As you are all aware, the New Senior Secondary curriculum gives students the option to select from a wide variety of electives, and there are endless possible combinations. Although each subject may require a distinct method of evaluation of students, it is absurd to compare students’ class standings based on average scores that are determined using the marks of many subjects. I am a powerful illustration of this. I selected Chinese literature and English literature as my electives because I am passionate about language analysis. Despite the fact that I was at the top of the class among the students taking my electives the previous year, the exam scores I received were lower than those of science students. It turns out that my grade point average is far from acceptable. Does this mean my exam performance was poor? Does this indicate that people with higher rankings than I do are always superior to me? Of course not. As senior form pupils choose different electives, the class rankings are meaningless and ought to be eliminated.

The practise of reporting students’ rankings will worsen Hong Kong’s “Tiger Mothers” issue, which will ultimately impose a great deal of stress on pupils.

In our city, “Tiger Mothers” and helicopter parents are infamous for putting enormous pressure on their kids, whether it be for extracurricular activities or academic outcomes. The class rankings are the sole way for parents to assess their children’s performance because they may not be very familiar with the subject matter covered in the curriculum or their daily progress. Several of you seated here, I’m sure, have similar experiences. Your parents chastise you for not working diligently because of the declining class rankings on your report cards, which frustrate and displease them. As time goes on, they become more and more tough, requiring you to complete excessive amounts of practise exams and further revision. You can feel so stressed out by the long school days and the long hours that you have furious disagreements with your parents. It is regrettable to observe how such insignificant grades on report cards ironically increase student pressure and even disrupt family unity. This way of thinking leads our team to the conclusion that the class position system ought to be eliminated.

駁論

My argument would be refuted by our respectable adversary team, who would argue that students’ class standings act as motivating factors for improving their exam performance. Such a viewpoint is predicated on the idea that grades are meaningless because they cannot accurately reflect how well we performed in comparison to other students, and that rankings are the best indicators for students to consider their weaknesses and start making study plans to perform better the next time. Yet, such a claim is unfounded. Even if it is accepted that test results don’t mean anything, I bet the other side has forgotten how significant grades are. Grading students into several groups is adequate for them to understand the areas in which they haven’t performed well, and at the same time, it won’t put a heavy weight on students or cause ferocious competition among classes because their true rank is kept a secret. The opponent’s argument is invalid in light of this.

To sum up, the system of exposing students’ class positions causes injustice for students, distorts the genuine purpose of education, and spurs the formation of Tiger Mothers. The system of exposing students’ class positions also distorts the true meaning of education. Do you want to see teenagers, who will be the backbone of society in the future, develop in such a stressful environment, audience? Would you want your children to be damaged by the savage rivalry in schools, I ask all the judges? Do you want your success to be determined by the grades on your report cards any more, pupils here? It is very clear that eliminating student class placement is a necessary condition for improving our troubled educational system. The motion of today must thus be upheld. I’m grateful.

Content7/77/7
Language7/77/7
Organization7/77/7
Total21/2121/21
42/42 (5**)

Share:
Facebook
LinkedIn
Twitter