DSE English Paper 4
Individual Response 可以點做得好？
所以，如果你想看知道 Individual response 有什麼技巧，就一定要看下去！
技巧 1 : 清晰框架
Main idea / Choice (論點/選擇)
Personal experience (個人經歷)
Other people’s view (其他人的看法)
技巧 2 : 真虛
- Originally, I thought it was my dream job. But it turned out to be the opposite.
- Unexpectedly/Exceeding my expectations, 句子
- Surprisingly, 句子
技巧3 : 新舊
- I used to perceive that 句子
- But, now I think that 句子
- Most other friends would prefer to verb
- Other may think/argue that 句子
- But for me, I would choose 句子
解釋原因是在 individual response 裡十分重要的一環，不過現在是英文卷四，所以不用到天花龍鳳，只要清晰有組織便可以
Step 1: There are several reasons why 句子 / for this.
Step 2: Let me explain them individually
Step 3: For one thing, 句子
Step 4: For another, 句子
實用框架 S.R.O. C.R.P.C
講完 Individual Response 嘅迷思 Spencer Sir 想再同大家分享1個實用框架：
仲有5** Sample，俾大家學下 5** 嘅同學仔會點活用！
Do you think it is a good idea for students to attend tutorial schools?
Stand: Yes, it’s a great idea.
Reason: Students need to do well in exams. You know, tutorial schools are very skilful at. Tutors can help students get good exam results. The reason is that they employ high-quality tutors, who are extremely familiar with the public exam systems. They can teach students useful exam skills.
Opposite view: You may think that it is not a healthy phenomenon if we put too much emphasis on exam results.
Concession: Well, this is quite true. I agree that we need time to participate in extra-curricular activities in order to unleash our potential.
Rebuttal: However, as students, we should care about our studies. Only hardworking students will attend tutorial schools. Also, tutorial schools are not necessarily an obstacle to whole-person education.
Personal experience: For example, even though I often take tutorial classes, I am the captain of my school’s basketball team and have participated in many competitions.
Conclusion: Therefore, it’s just a matter of time management.
- Would you like to apply for a summer internship?
- Would you like to study in a school like the ones in Finland?
- Would you pay HK$100 to ride a ferris wheel to see Hong Kong’s harbor?
- Would you rather win an argument or maintain a friendship?
- Would you rather ride a ferris wheel during the day or at night?
- How would you persuade your parents to let you be an intern?
- How would your parents feel about you participating in cosplay?
- How would you feel if your parents did not allow you to have Facebook accounts?
- If someone stayed in your home, what do you think they would learn about life in Hong Kong?
- If you were an employer, what qualities would you look for in a trainee?
- Do you find advertising entertaining?
- Do you think it is important to maintain traditions like the giving of mooncakes?
- Do you think video games are as artistic as paintings?
- Do you think caring for a pet and looking after a young child are similar?
- Do you think the Airport Ambassador Programme would be popular with young people?
- Why do some people like to read comic books?
- Why do you think writing comments on YouTube is popular?
- Why do you think emails have replaced letters?
- Why are some people unhappy even though they have good health?
- Why do superheroes continue to be popular?
5. 好處 / 壞處
- In what ways would going on a study tour help you become more sociable?
- How effective is the use of technology in teaching English?
- What are the advantages of alternative modes of transport other than a car?
- Aside from the health benefits, what other benefits are there to exercise?
- What are the disadvantages of owning a car in Hong Kong?
- Apart from using video games, what else can teachers do to enhance students’ interest in learning English?
- What advice would you give a family member who wanted to have plastic surgery?
- In what ways could the media be used to publicize the dangers the dolphins face?
- What other ways can you save money apart from using coupons?
- What other methods can help promote a city’s traditions?
- How do you celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival?
- Have you ever been to the airport?
- Have you shared your passwords with anyone before?
- Do you still have toys or games from when you were a child?
- Do you know of someone who is in a job that they don’t like?
Making a choice
Which do you prefer?
Which is better?
Would you rather … than
Is it better to … or …?
What kind of people do you…?
I would choose + n.
I would prefer + n.
I would choose to + v.
I would prefer to + v.
I think A is better than B.
I think A is more important than B.
What do you think…?
Why do you think?
Personally, I think that + SVO
Personally, I believe that + SVO
In my opinion, + SVO
Do you think…?
Did you like…?
Have you ever been to…?
Have you + p.p.?
Are you good at…?
Yes, of course.
Yes, I think so.
No, definitely not.
No, of course not.
No, I don’t think so.
Arguing for /
Against a position
支持 / 反對論點
I support + n. (我支持)
I oppose + n. (我反對)
What … would you like?
What is your favourite…?
Where do you go…?
I would like to + v.
My favourite … is …. (我最愛的…是…)
… will face a lot of problems, like ….
I go to ….
SVO + when + SVO
SVO + because + SVO
The reason is that + SVO
The cause is that + SVO
There are many reasons. (有很多原因)
Let me tell you the reasons. (讓我向你解釋原因)
What can be done…?
Is it a good idea…?
In what ways…?
I suggest that + sbdy + should + v.
I think that + sbdy + can + v.
Sbdy can + v. + through + v. + ing
It is a good idea to + v.
It is important + for sbdy + to + v.
SVO. + For example, + SVO.
SVO. + For instance, + SVO.
SVO + such as + n.
SVO + like + n.
Firstly, + SVO
To start with, + SVO
Secondly, + SVO
Also, + SVO
Thirdly, + SVO
Finally, + SVO
Advantages / Disadvantages
In what ways … helps you?
What are the benefits…?
What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages?
What are the risks?
Firstly, + SVO. Secondly + SVO. On the other hand, + SVO. Also, + SVO.
There are two advantages.
The first advantage is that + SVO
There are two disadvantages.
The second disadvantage is that + SVO
What are the differences?
What are the similarities?
They are similar because + SVO
One difference is that
Although + SVO, + SVO
SVO. + But + SVO
SVO. + However, + SVO
SVO. + In contrast, + SVO (相反)
On one hand, + SVO. + On the other hand, + SVO.
(一方面 … 另一方面)
How would your parents feel…?
Would you recommend…?
Is it okay…?
What would you say to a friend…?
If + SVO, + SVO
My parents would feel …
Yes, I would recommend…
Yes, I think it is okay.
No, I think it is not okay.
I would tell my friends to + v.
SVO + so + SVO
SVO. + Therefore, + SVO
SVO. + As a result, + SVO
Have you ever been to…?
Have you + p.p.?
Are you good at…?
How do you feel …?
What do you like to do…?
Yes, I have been to + 地方
No, I have never been to地方
Yes, I have + p.p.
No, I have never + p.p.
Yes, I am good at …
No, I am not good at …
I feel + adj.
I like to + v.
Showing your interest
In the question
That’s an interesting question. (這是有趣的問題)
That’s a good question. (這是好問題)
Requesting the examiner to repeat or explain the question
I’m sorry. Could you repeat the question please? (可否重覆問題)
I’m sorry. Could you explain the question please? (可否解釋問題)
|7.||如果不明白問題，要主動問考官。 I’m sorry. Could you repeat the question please? (可否重覆問題) I’m sorry. Could you explain the question please? (可否解釋問題)|
需要Thank you for your question / This is the end of my sharing嗎？
考生無需說 Thank you for your question / This is the end of my sharing
考評局稱上述的句子為 “formulaic expression”，即是我們常說的罐頭句子，甚至以”wasted time” 來形容此行為，所以報告建議同學聽到問題後，應該直接回應。 “Candidates are encouraged to focus on a main idea and drawn on their own
experience and creativity to form a response.”
遇上 Yes/No question，考生應以 Yes/No 直接回應，之後加以解釋。如果考生的回答過於簡短，考官將會視內容為 “incomprehensive response”。
如果問大家Individual response 有幾多時間俾你回應呢？
“It should be noted that candidates are not expected to fill up every second of the allocated one minute. It is much better to give a relevant and spontaneous response which answers the question thoughtfully than one that lasts for exactly one minute but does not display any of these qualities.”
每位考生的確有一次轉問題的機會，但如果你的表現讓考官覺得你沒有嘗試去思考、沒有 心去進行溝通 (a refusal to communication)，印象分就會大減。
再者，考官不會保證新問 題會比較簡單，所以建議考生盡力回應 Individual response部分。